St. Mary’s Church, Woolpit and All Saints Church, Drinkstone
Statement of Safeguarding
Priest with Pastoral Charge: Rev. Ruth Farrell (01359) 242244
Parish safeguarding officer: Mrs. Astrid Gale (01449) 736081
in line with the House of Bishops’ guidance: PROMOTING A SAFER CHURCH
To be reviewed and signed annually at the first PCC meeting following the APCM.
This parish recognises that the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults is paramount and that we have a duty of care when they are in our charge. We will do everything that we can to provide a safe and caring environment in any contact we have, and whilst they attend our activities.
In accordance with the Church of England Safeguarding Policy we will:
- Treat all children, young people and vulnerable adults with respect and celebrate their achievements.
- Recruit and select all those working with children, young people and vulnerable adults on our behalf in accordance with Diocesan Safer Recruitment procedures.
- Provide a code of conduct for all staff to include the assessment of risk for key roles when working with children, young people and vulnerable adults.
- Respond to concerns and allegations without delay in accordance with Diocesan Safeguarding procedures.
- Care pastorally for those who are the subject of concerns or allegations of abuse and other affected persons.
In order to achieve this, we will:
- Have a named Parish Safeguarding Officer (PSO) to work with the incumbent and the PCC to implement policy and procedures.
- Ensure that there is appropriate insurance cover for all activities involving children and adults undertaken in the name of the parish.
- Display in church premises and on the Parish website the details of who to contact if there are safeguarding concerns or support needs.
- Listen to and take seriously all those who disclose abuse.
- Take steps to protect children and adults when a safeguarding concern of any kind arises, following House of Bishops guidance, including notifying the Diocesan Safeguarding Adviser (DSA) and statutory agencies immediately.
- Offer support to victims/survivors of abuse regardless of the type of abuse, when or where it occurred.
- Care for and monitor any member of the church community who may pose a risk to children and adults whilst maintaining appropriate confidentiality and the safety of all parties.
- Ensure that health and safety policy, procedures and risk assessments are in place, that they are followed appropriately and that they are reviewed annually.
- Review the implementation of the Safeguarding Policy, Procedures and Practices at least annually.
- Each person who works within this church community will undertake training as indicated by the Diocese and agree to abide by the policies, guidelines and code of conduct established by this church.
This church appoints Astrid Gale as the Parish Safeguarding Officer.
Incumbent: Ruth Farrell Churchwardens: Betty Curry, David Hughes
Date: 25th May 2021